Luckily for Orthodontists, weddings take quite some time to plan… so if straight teeth and a beautiful smile are on your “wedding wish list” then get down to an Orthodontist as early on in the process as possible. Believe me, your orthodontist will thank you for it!
- Orthodontic treatment typically takes 18-24 months; but this can vary hugely depending on the complexity of the case. If yours’ is a simple case, you may be able to have your brace removed in 6-10 months, but difficult cases require more time.
- Discreet braces are available; even if you fall into the complex category and expect to have your braces on for longer, don’t be disheartened. Options like Invisalign, lingual braces and ceramic braces offer much improved aesthetics over traditional metal braces, allowing brides and grooms to walk down the aisle with confidence.
- Consider less comprehensive treatment; Orthodontists are trained to look for the best possible outcome for your smile, including your facial structure, bite and tooth alignment. As such, it may be that comprehensive ideal treatment includes both upper and lower braces as well as changes to the bite. There may be instances where, depending on your specific case, acceptable compromises can be made such as only straightening the upper teeth and accepting the bite, which can reduce treatment duration. Your Orthodontist can advise you whether this is possible in your case.
- Braces CAN be removed before and replaced AFTER the wedding; but this will result in a longer overall treatment duration and extra cost for removal and replacements as new brackets will need to be used. Also, an additional set of retainers will be required during the time the brace is off to prevent the teeth moving back.
- Not all wedding photographers will edit braces out of pictures; be sure to ask specifically if this what you want.
At Northwood Orthodontics, we want to help you be at your happiest on your wedding. Get in touch to start your journey to the smile of your dreams.